We observe problems everyday and put them off to personality conflicts and breakdowns in communication. Understanding Time Span helps us see that most of these issues are smokescreens for a misalignment in organization structure.
When you get the right people in the right seats, those issues disappear almost immediately.
Mis-Matching the Role to the Person
What happens when the Time Span required for the role is longer than the Time Span capability of the person? Do we observe some predictable behavior?
- Can that person make it based on their performance?
- How easy is it to hold that person accountable for their performance?
- Does the person blame all their troubles on other people and external circumstances?
- Does this person begin to avoid your phone calls, your email?
- Does this person begin to control or manipulate data that might expose their underperformance?
This person might not be able to perform, but they have a knack for covering their tracks, surviving for long periods of time.
Mis-Matching the Person to the Role
What happens when the Time Span capability of the person is longer than the Time Span required for the role? There are some predictable behaviors.
- Does this person become bored with the role?
- What happens to attention to detail when a person is bored?
- Do you find this person sticking their nose in other parts of the company, without an invitation?
- Do you find this person taking a simple process and making it more complicated?
This behavior is not malicious. It appears very natural, almost like a personality trait. Yet, the behavior will disappear almost immediately when the person is matched up with a more challenging role.
A Perfect Match
Matching. That’s it. Matching the Time Span required in the role with the Time Span capability of the person. Constantly challenging the person to their maximum capability (measured in Time Span) in work on which they place a high value.
What happens to job satisfaction when you are able to make this match? And continue to make this match as people grow and mature?
Do you need to hire a motivational speaker?
And the next question? How do we make that assessment? How can the manager gain insight into the Time Span capability of their team members?