Every conversation can be calibrated. Every conversation has a platform. Seven levels of listening –
- Ignoring completely, oblivious, engrossed in your smartphone.
- Pretending to listen, glancing up from your smartphone.
- Listening selectively, attentive only during downloads on your smartphone.
- Listening to respond, smartphone holstered.
- Listening to understand, to understand the other person, to understand the situation.
- Listening to learn, to learn something new, something interesting, something that matters.
- Listening for the intersection where someone else’s experience meets our experience on which we can build trust.
Thinking about your relationships, as a manager, as a friend, as a stranger, as a parent. Where is your intersection with reality?