“I understand that it would be helpful to know about Julio’s value system,” Nelson pushed back. “But what am I supposed to ask him. Are you honest? Do you have integrity?“
“My guess is that he would say, yes. Yes and no questions seldom give us much information that’s really useful. And remember, this would be most helpful if it’s about the work he is doing.”
Nelson was still puzzled. “I am supposed to ask him how he values the work?”
“He won’t understand the question if you ask it that way. Try these questions.
- Before we ship this product to the customer, what is the most important thing we have to remember?
- When the customer receives this product, what is the most important thing they look for?
- When we show up at the customer’s location, what do you think the customer expects from us?
- Before we leave a customer location, what is the most important thing we have to remember?
- When you look around at your team mates, thinking about their work, what do you find most helpful to you?
- What do you look for in a new person joining the team?
“All these questions will give you insight into Julio’s value system related to the work.”